2024 Grammys: A Cause of Controversy

The red carpet where artists like Taylor Swift (pictured in the left), Dua Lipa (pictured in the middle) and Olivia Rodrigo (pictured in the right) show off their outfits at the 2024 Grammy’s.

The music industry’s biggest night, the Grammy Awards just took place. If you are unaware of what the Grammys are, it is a yearly event where the Recording Academy of the United States awards artists for their achievements throughout the year. Nominees, special guests of the Academy and voters get invited to this ceremony where they get dressed up and listen to different artists perform and receive their awards. This year’s Grammys sparked a lot of controversy and many firsts among viewers and celebrities.

One of the most argued topic this year was the winner of the best rap album. This year the award was given to Killer Mike for his album “Micheal.” This annoyed many people because they believed artists like Drake or Travis Scott should have received the best album for this year. In my opinion, I think Scott should have gotten the award because he is more talked about and his songs are very popular. Drake was also someone I think would have been a better fit for this award because he is favored by many people. His music is in so many people’s playlists and lots of his songs are trending on Tik Tok.

Another popular topic was Taylor Swift winning her 14th ever Grammy and fourth award for Album of the Year. She is not only the first person to win four Grammys in a row but she is also the first female to win three Album of the Year awards. I think Swift deserved this award because she has grown such a big fan base and her music is very popular. I love listening to her songs and almost all of her songs are well known. However, I believe Lana Del Rey should have won. Del Rey has worked so hard and she has so many emotions in her songs which makes you feel connected to them.

If you are on social media you will see many other people have strong opinions that Swift didn’t deserve to win this year. People are complaining that she already has so many opportunities and has gotten so many Grammys, and so many other artists are more deserving.

Aside from the amount of Grammys Swift won, there was another controversy that sparked from that night. Celine Dion, a popular performer who was diagnosed with “stiff person syndrome,” is now no longer able to perform. She attended the Grammys as a presenter to give out Album of the Year. Swift received her award from Dion, and didn’t say thank you or include her in her speech which irritated many. Even though it was disrespectful, I believe many people are reaching and blowing the situation out of proportion. Many on social media are now saying that Swift is a bad person and not deserving of her accomplishments.

SZA and Miley Cyrus also won awards for their performance at the Grammys. SZA won Best Pop Duo/Group Performance with Pheobe Bridgers for singing her song “Ghost in the Machine.” SZA is such an amazing performer and her songs are some of my favorites. She has gotten popular this past year for her album “SOS,” which is an album to play when you are with your friends or just want something to sing to when you are in an untenable love mood. Cyrus won her first Grammy this year for Best Pop Solo Performance where she sang her song “Flowers.” When I found out this was her first Grammy, I was definitely surprised. Throughout the years, she’s released a lot of hit songs like “Wrecking Ball,” “We Can’t Stop,” and even “Party  in the U.S.A.”

Watching this event you will see so many performers dressed up in different gowns and costumes. Swift wore a long tight white dress with long black gloves which wasn’t my favorite. The gloves looked tacky and I think her previous outfits from other years were much better. Dua Lipa who attended the awards wore a silver long dress that was covered in jewelry from Tiffany & CO. Even though it looks uncomfortable it fit her very well and was one of my favorites this year. Olivia Rodrigo wore a white silky dress covered in pearls from Versace that was first worn by Linda Evangelista in nineteen ninety-five. Pearls have been a popular trend this year where girls are putting pearls on their slicked-back hair. I think Rodrigos’ dress is very chic and looked amazing this year.