Makeup Monday: Eyeliner 101

Senior Breana Brill saying good-bye to Niles West.

Eyeliner. Possibly the most frustrating makeup products to ever exist, yet it makes such a difference for your eyes. When I first started to learn how to wear makeup, I jumped right into smearing eyeliner on my top and bottom eyelids and, to say the least, it looked pretty bad. Only with time and practice did I learn more about how to apply the right amount for the shape of my eyes, and the type of eyeliner that was easiest for me to use. Here is a guide to the four types of eyeliners, and the best way to apply them.

1. Eyeshadow: This is the easiest type of application for an eyeliner beginner. Take a small, angled brush and dip the tip of it into some water. Then, dip the tip into the color of shadow you want and trace the top of your eyelid. The brush is a lot easier for beginners to start with because it’s easy to move it to the type of thickness and shape of a line that you want. If you mess up, dip a q-tip into some makeup remover, erase it, and start all over. As a beginner (heck, even as a pro) you’re going to mess up every once and awhile, but don’t get frustrated! Only practice makes you better.
  2. Pencil Liner: The pencil liner is probably the most popular form of eyeliner. For darker eyes like hazel or brown, I recommend starting out with a black color. For lighter eyes like green or blue, I recommend a brown color. Correlating your eye color with those neutrals will help to brighten your eyes and make them pop. This another easy form of application because it’s easy to maneuver the pencil. To make application even easier, and your line even straighter, use a same colored eyeshadow first and then use the pencil to trace the line. Pencils can also be a little hard to use because they are either too pointy or too hard. To make application even easier, put the pencil liner underneath a hair dryer for about five seconds before using it. It allows the pencil to warmup and smooth the tip of it so you’re not scratching your eyelids off.
  3. Gel Liner: Here’s where the frustration can kick in. Gel liner is extremely hard to wipe off in the morning in a case where you mess up, because it’s a very thick consistency. The reason why gel liner (in my opinion) is the best type of eyeliner is because with the right type of brand, it can last pretty much all day. It also has a smoother application. The best way to apply it is by using a small angled brush, gliding it in the liner, and then applying. You can use the eyeshadow trick from above to trace before application. Another tip on keeping your gel liner from smudging during the day is by applying the same color eyeshadow on top of the gel, after applying the gel to your eyelid. This seals it in place for a longer, cleaner look.
  4. Liquid Liner: Now, I know I said above that gel liner is pretty frustrating, but the most frustrating form of eye liner is definitely the liquid. This is, by far, the messiest type of eyeliner to mess up with because it smears all over your face. I don’t recommend starting out with this type of liner unless you’re getting it in pen form. If you get it in the pen form, this is the best type of application because it’s pretty much like an eyeliner in marker form. If you’re a beginner, I recommend the pen because it’s exactly like the pencil except softer, smoother and more delicate. The other form this comes in is a brush and bottle, which is the messy type. I really don’t recommend this type of liner because during the day it smudges and smears.

There are a few specific things that some liners can do, that others can’t. For example, if you’re planning on lining your waterline (the lower part of your eyelid where your lower lashes grow out of) the best type of liner to do this with is a pencil or gel. You can’t line your waterline with a liquid liner because it will obviously leak into your eye and hurt a lot. Also, eyeshadow isn’t the best for this either because it’s a powder and will easily wash away. The best way to apply a gel or pencil to your waterline is by first, taking a q-tip and running it across the waterline a few times. This dries it off before you apply your liner and helps it to stay a lot longer before washing off.

If you’re looking to try a winged line/any other type of design, all of the liners can do this but I recommend either a gel or a liquid liner. These types have better application and pigmentation for any types of designs. It’s also a lot easier to control them to get precise shapes and sizes.

Hopefully this guide is helpful, and that the process of learning how to apply eyeliner won’t be as frustrating as mine was.