Hungry Like the Wolf: Mastering the Food Profile of Steaks

Editor’s note: This is the third in a series of five articles on food profiles.

Steak. It’s one of those great chunks of meat we love eating, and we’re always being asked about how we want it cooked (rare, well done, etc.) at fine dining eateries or restaurants. But what is it steaks that make them so delicious?

All steak dishes have some things in common whether it’s just a plain steak you’re eating, steak sandwiches, or Mongolian beef. Let’s observe some everyday steak recipes to determine steak’s food profile.

Mongolian beef, for example, is cooked with a combination of ginger, garlic, brown sugar, soy sauce, and butter that is cooked with diced steak, which all help to infuse the Asian flavors into the beef. Some examples are Steak au Poivre which includes:

• Garlic
  • Salted Butter
  • Heavy cream
  • Thyme
  • Rosemary
  • Parmesan cheese
  • Parsley

There is also Beef Teriyaki which includes:

• Garlic powder
  • Ginger
  • Cayenne
  • Peppers
  • Teriyaki sauce (cornstarch, soy sauce, beef broth, brown sugar)
  • Canola or olive oil

Just like the food profile of tomatoes, whenever you’re cooking a steak dish, use a variety of fresh herbs.

Steak is best paired with butter, garlic, and herbs of your choice (rosemary and thyme are recommended). If you are going for Asian inspired dishes that use steak such as teriyaki or Mongolian beef, add foreign flavors such as soy sauce and ginger and reduce the amount of herbs.

If you’re going for a more traditional or French steak, include more herbs, and skip adding outside flavors such as teriyaki, soy, ginger, green onion. And like Julia Child would do, add more butter!

Personally, I like my steak well done. If steak is prepared thoroughly and properly with the use of aromatic flavors, it should taste good no matter how it’s cooked. Without further ado, here’s my recipe for a simple yet fancy steak dinner like one that would be served at restaurants. The only difference will be that this tastes better, is fresher, and you’re not being charged nearly as much as you would be in a restaurant.

Pan-Seared Steak:

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 whole sprigs thyme (don’t take the leaves off the stem)
  • 1 sprig Rosemary
  • 3 cloves garlic (peeled or unpeeled)
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 round or sirloin steak
  1. Season raw steak generously with salt and pepper on both sides, then set aside. Place a skillet over medium to high heat and add olive oil. Allow to heat for a couple of seconds.
  2. Preheat the broiler in your oven and line a tray 3 to 4 inches under the heat source.
  3. Add steak to oiled pan over medium heat. While cooking, add garlic cloves, thyme, and rosemary into the pan next to the steak. This will allow the flavors to infuse.
  4. After 6 minutes on the first side, flip over the steak and cook the other side. Add butter into the pan and allow to melt onto the steak. Using tongs, grab the roasted garlic, rosemary, and thyme and repeatedly press against the steak. Baste the steak with the juices in the pan.
  5. Using your tongs, place the garlic cloves, rosemary and thyme on top of the steak and move the skillet with the steak (only if the skillet is oven-safe — otherwise, place steak and herbs in a flat baking pan) into the oven under the broiler. If you want your steak rare, cook the steak for 3 minutes; for medium rare, 5 minutes; for medium well, 6 minutes; and for well done, 7 minutes as above until when the steak is cut it’s dark brown and cooked to your liking.